The Chinatown House, built in 1919 and designated as a city landmark in 1985, is a two-story brick building that was home to about 50 Chinese American laborers. There is also a general store. The historic site is one of the last remaining tangible connections to the once-thriving Chinese community that helped build modern-day Rancho Cucamonga and the greater Inland Empire in Southern California.
In 2013, city officials issued a notice to the property's owner, the Cucamonga Valley Water District, to correct structural issues in the vacant and neglected house with plans to demolish the house when local advocates began organizing to save it. Local advocates included the Chinese Historical Society of Southern California, Save Our Chinatown Committee – Riverside, and Asian and Pacific Islander Americans in Historic Preservation. In collaboration with these community organizations, the National Trust for Historic Preservation listed the Chinatown House on its list of 11 Most Endangered Historic Places for 2013. With local efforts and this listing, the Chinatown House was saved from demolition.
– Michelle Magalong, Asian and Pacific Islander Americans in Historic Preservation